Wednesday, September 27, 2017

POET FEATURE: Darrell Herbert the Artivist



All Black Entertainment Magazine sits down and speaks with rising, talented young poet and songwriter Darrell Herbert.  Darrell Herbert calls himself the "Artivist" because not only is he a tremendous "artist" but he also gives back to the community and helps as an "activist".  In this interview we will get more in depth with the man behind the strong and powerful words, Darrell Herbert the Voice of the Voiceless.


How are you doing Darrell Herbert?
Darrell Herbert:  I am doing fine.


You call yourself the Artivist, what is an Artivist for those that do not know?
Darrell Herbert: I call myself an Artivist because I want to be different. An Artivist is someone who fuses their art and activism.


What are some ways that you help out in the community?
Darrell Herbert: Some ways that I help out the community is through volunteering, donating money to charity, and/or talking to people who are down on hard times.


How would you describe the overall feel of your poetry?
Darrell Herbert: The overall feel of my poetry is dark, yet, it serves a purpose. A greater purpose. Figuring it out is the hard part.


What inspires you to write what you write?
Darrell Herbert: My inspiration comes from conversations, observations, and so on.


You call yourself "The Voice of the Voiceless", how did that name come about?  Why do you call yourself the Voice of the Voiceless?
Darrell Herbert: "The Voice of the Voiceless", just became a part of my identity. I call myself that because it reminds me to voice my opinion even though it is extremely difficult 


What would you like to accomplish this year that you haven't already?
Darrell Herbert: I would like to spend more time helping teenagers cope with feelings of isolation, depression, as well as suicidal thoughts.


Is there anything else you would like to mention in this interview?
Darrell Herbert: Nothing is impossible. Anything is possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment